Friday, November 6, 2009

The H1N1 Curry Cure


When you're a mom and you're little one is sick you feel helpless, your heart aches in a way that you really can't describe and you'd gladly be sick for them if it makes them feel better again.

After 2 days of a high fever whilst suffering with the flu, Caitys appetite had all but disappeared. She'd lost 4lbs in a few days and she's already a petite 62lbs for her 10 years, I was desperate to find some way, any way, to find something she could enjoy and keep down. First with the aid of some tylenol I was able to get her fever down but she was still barely managing the odd spoonful of ice cream.

Her dad and I had assumed jello, ice cream and ginger ale would be her hearts greatest desires whilst she felt icky but apparently we were wrong, so I offered her anything she wanted, didn't matter how crazy, how complicated, I would get it for her if it would help her feel better.

I was thinking chicken noodle soup or another comfort type food ...

Oh No!

She chose homemade curry with mushrooms and white rice!

Yes you heard right, a 10 yr old wanting mushrooms - the same 10 year old that HATES them normally wanted me to cook a curry with them for her!

What's even more amazing is that not only did she eat a full dish of it, she kept it down, had one more bedtime dose of tylenol and woke up this morning with NO fever!

Did my curry cure the flu? I doubt it - but this mom will happily take some credit for helping her lil bear feel better.

Do you have any foods that make you or a loved one feel better when they're sick? Maybe you have a funny food story? I'd love to hear about it!

No comments: